On average, we spend about 90% of our time indoors. The majority of that time is spent in our homes, especially now that many people are working remotely (and our children are learning remotely too). To prevent burnout and maintain a healthy work-life balance, it’s paramount to practice self-care and find ways to create more wellness and positivity in your home!
Start by addressing what your wellness needs are—for your body and mind. What helps you relax? What brings you joy? What inspires your creativity? What makes you laugh? Think about all the things that bring you happiness and nourish you. At the same time, consider the things that you know you want to start doing for your wellness but haven’t yet. Write a list of all your ideas, then assess each item to pick out those that are your top priorities and simple to do right now in your home.
To help you kickstart your wellness at home, here are 3 ideas:
For Your Body: Get Moving
We all know that exercise is good for you, but did you know that you can get incredible benefits from short bursts of exercise? Known as HIIT (high-intensity interval training), the idea is to do intermittent sprints of exercise, alternating short periods of intense exercise with rest periods. There are a lot of HIIT exercises that can be done right in your home. Check out Group HIIT on YouTube for routines. Or try an exercise “snack.” Similar to HIIT, but the goal here is to add a quick spurt of movement throughout your day. For example, if you’re on the phone, get up and walk while you talk. Or do some yoga or stretching or squats. When you move your body more often, you’re practicing a form of self-care and preventing your body from the aches and pains that come with sitting too much.
For Your Mind: Try Relaxing
A proven way to reduce stress and anxiety is to practice meditating. The beauty of meditation is that it’s free, natural, and can be done anywhere and at any time! Because meditation increases relaxation, it should not be a surprise that it also helps you sleep better. Ending your day with meditation is a tranquil and meaningful way to take a moment to slow down and let go. During your meditation, you could add some gentle self-reflection, acknowledging and giving gratitude for your day. (Try these meditations from Mind Body Green or download a meditation app like Calm.)
For Your Home: Create an Oasis
Improving our health and happiness is powerfully connected to the way our homes look and feel. If our home brings a sense of relaxation, calm, and joy, we benefit from that every day. Our homes support our dreams and goals, so it’s important to create the kind of home that you love being in!
Here are some tips on how to create an oasis at home:
- Bring nature indoors with houseplants, flowers, and even rocks, shells, and other organic found objects.
- Bring in the natural light and fresh air by opening up curtains or blinds and windows during the day. This is one of the quickest ways to freshen the air indoors and clear your mind.
- Keeping your home clutter-free is a sure way to keep things tidy and open up your space for good things to come. (For more tips on decluttering, check out this blog post.)
- Create a special area for yourself in your home, whether it’s a sacred space for meditation or a creative space for you to tap into your inner artist. Or maybe a space outdoors in your garden or backyard. It’s a wonderful way to de-stress and boost your happiness level.
- Turn your bedroom into a calm sanctuary by keeping it tidy and well-cared for. Make sure your bed is as soft and comfy as possible, from your mattress to your pillows to your sheets and comforter.