Weighted Blankets: A Powerful Sleep Aid
You may not know it, but weighted blankets have been used for years by health professionals as a form of pressure therapy, inducing a feeling of calm and well-being in their patients. As neuroscientist and best-selling author Dr. Daniel G. Amen states in his book, Your Brain Is Always Listening, “Research suggests that using a weighted blanket, which stimulates being held or hugged safely and firmly, can assist in reducing anxiety and insomnia.”
What Is a Weighted Blanket?
Weighted blankets are heavy blankets that are either knitted with a dense and heavy yarn or made in a duvet style with a filling of either glass beads or poly pellets. They can be used anywhere in your home, such as on your bed or couch, whenever you’re in the mood to rest or sleep.
Weighted Blanket Benefits
- Like a cozy snuggle or swaddle, a weighted blanket can give you a sense of security and help you fall asleep faster.
- Relieves anxiety-induced insomnia and stress by promoting your ‘feel-good’ hormones like serotonin and sleep hormones like melatonin.
- Calms an overactive nervous system or rapid heart rate which can disrupt sleep. The weighted pressure across your body relaxes your fight-or-flight response.
- Helps children and adults with ADHD concentrate better and feel more at ease.
- Reduces insomnia and the harmful effects of chronic fatigue.
Weighted Blanket Pros and Cons
As you can see from the above list of benefits, there are plenty of reasons to use a weighted blanket to help you sleep better. However, there are some important safety considerations:
- While weighted blankets are safe for adults and older children, they are not recommended for young children and infants, unless specifically designed for them. (As a general rule, an adult-size weighted blanket can range from 10-35 lbs.)
- A weighted blanket may not be suitable for people with certain medical conditions, such as chronic respiratory or circulatory issues, asthma, sleep apnea, low blood pressure, type-2 diabetes, and claustrophobia. If you’re unsure if a weighted blanket is right for you, consult your doctor first.
Are Weighted Blankets Hot?
If you tend to sleep hot, an overly heavy weighted blanket might make you feel too warm, so be sure that the weight of the blanket is right for you.
Jennifer Adams Premium Weighted Blanket
We’re thrilled to announce that we now carry a premium-made weighted blanket!
After many tests and lots of research, we created a weighted blanket that’s just the right weight and design: our duvet-style weighted blanket is made from individual glass beads sewn in pocketed layers, weighs 15 lbs., and includes a cover. It creates a soothing, cozy, cocoon-like sleep experience that will have you waking up rejuvenated and ready for your day ahead.
Made from our signature, supremely soft Lux fabric, our weighted blanket and cover are wrinkle-resistant, easy to care for, breathable, and made with love and care.
Like all of our products, we promise the highest standards of quality that you can count on. Sleep well!