One of the elements of styling my bedroom that I like to play with is how I make the bed. I’m always changing it up! I think of it as the ‘perfectly imperfect bed’ – a way of setting up your bed for the sleeping experience you want and in a way that expresses your individual style. It’s all about all about creating a sleep sanctuary that reflects your individuality and embraces a relaxed, effortless vibe. The perfectly imperfect bed is a tranquil style that lets you play with various shapes and sizes of pillows, experiment with blanket placements, and find joy in the art of bed styling.
The Basic Ingredients of a Well-Made Bed
Before we delve into some creative possibilities, let's start with the basics of a well-made bed. These building blocks serve as the foundation for your perfect sleep haven.
- Mattress: Invest in a quality mattress that provides the right level of support for your body and sleep preferences. Your mattress should be comfortable and conducive to a good night's rest.
- Sheets: Choose soft, high-quality sheets that make you want to sink into bed. Opt for breathable materials like cotton or bamboo for a cozy sleep experience. You’ll need a fitted sheet and a flat sheet.
- A medium weight blanket
- Comforter or duvet insert and duvet cover: Opt for a comforter or duvet insert that suits your desired level of warmth. Look for one with a quality fill and a cover that complements your bedroom's aesthetic.
- Pillows and pillowcases: I like to start with two sleeping pillows per person.
- Optional: Decorative pillows and throw blanket
Pillow Arrangement Options
Now let's talk pillows! Pillows are not just for sleeping; they can be the stars of your bed's style. Here are some pillow placement and arrangement options to consider:
- Start with your essential sleeping pillows. Choose a suitable number of pillows for your comfort, whether it's one, two, or even more.
- Shams are decorative pillows that add a touch of elegance and height to your bed. Prop them up against your sleeping pillows or use them as decorative accents at the back of the arrangement.
- Accent pillows are where you can really get creative and express your style. Mix and match different sizes, shapes, and textures of decorative pillows. Play with patterns, colors, and embellishments to add personality and visual interest to your bed. Top tip: decorative pillows are often more interesting when you vary the shapes and sizes!
I usually use two regular pillowcases and two decorative shams. I then use accent pillows in different shapes, sizes, colors, and textures to add variety and visual interest.
How to Place a Throw Blanket
A throw blanket is a versatile and cozy addition to your bed. When it’s warm outside, I like to have the blanket placed at the foot of the bed because it adds more flexibility for the sleeping experience. Here's are some more placement options for that perfectly imperfect look.
- Diagonal: Drape the throw blanket diagonally from one corner to the opposite side. Let it cascade naturally for an effortlessly chic and relaxed look.
- Folded: Fold the throw blanket and place it at the foot of the bed for a structured look.
- Layered Style: Create depth and dimension by layering your throw blanket over your comforter or duvet. Fold it in thirds or quarters and place it at the foot of your bed or along the side, adding an extra touch of texture and warmth.
To Tuck or Not to Tuck?
The age-old debate of tucking in your bedding versus letting it hang loose is a personal choice. The perfectly imperfect bed embraces both options, allowing you to decide what suits your style and comfort preferences.
- Tucking in your sheets and blankets creates a clean and polished look. It adds a sense of order and symmetry to your bed. However, make sure it doesn't compromise your comfort while sleeping.
- Leaving your bed ubtucked creates a more relaxed and laid-back, boho-chic vibe. It gives your bed a lived-in look, inviting you to dive in and snuggle up without any constraints.
Why You Need to Wash Your Bedding Regularly
Maintaining a fresh and clean bed is essential for both comfort and hygiene. Regular washing is crucial, not only for hygiene but for freshness too. Washing your bedding regularly helps eliminate dust mites, allergens, and bacteria that can accumulate over time. It promotes a healthier sleep environment and reduces the risk of allergies or skin irritations. Clean bedding can also enhance your overall sleep experience. Climbing into a bed with freshly washed sheets and pillowcases can be so inviting and refreshing!
Bed Styling Tips
Now that you have the basic concepts down, here are some additional bed styling tips to elevate your perfectly imperfect bed.
- Mix textures: Experiment with different textures to create visual interest. Combine smooth and soft fabrics with knitted or woven accents for a tactile experience.
- Color palette: Select a color palette that complements your bedroom's overall aesthetic. Play with shades that create a serene and relaxing atmosphere.
- Balance: Achieve a sense of balance by distributing pillows and decorative elements evenly. Opt for symmetry or asymmetry, depending on your preferred style.
To see a demonstration of how I make a perfectly imperfect bed, check out this video:
For even more inspiration and ideas on creating the perfectly imperfect bed, be sure to follow my YouTube channel!