Your bedroom is your sanctuary, the place where you start and end your day. It should reflect your style, offer comfort, and promote relaxation. Choosing the right bedroom set is essential to create the perfect atmosphere for restful nights and rejuvenating mornings.
But what exactly is a bedroom set, you ask? Normally, a bedroom set includes a combination of matching furniture pieces like a bed, nightstand, dresser, etc. Most of the time, the items in these sets will match each other in terms of both style and materials. For example, you might purchase a bedroom set in a mid-20th-century style that’s all darker wood, or you could consider choosing a set that’s more modern and sleek, constructed from a mix of metal and light-colored wood.
Choosing Your Bedroom Set
So how do you go about choosing the ideal bedroom set that suits your taste, needs, and budget? Here are some of the steps to take and things to consider.
- Define your style. The first step in selecting the right bedroom set is to identify your personal style. Do you lean towards modern minimalism, rustic charm, or traditional designs? Your bedroom furniture should resonate with your style to create a cohesive and harmonious space.
- Consider your bedroom size. The size of your space plays a significant role in determining the type of bedroom set that will work best. Before you start shopping, take accurate measurements of your room. This will help you choose furniture that fits comfortably without overwhelming the space.
- Quality matters. Investing in quality bedroom furniture is crucial. After all, your bedroom set will be used daily, and you want it to stand the test of time. Look for well-crafted, durable pieces that can endure years of use.
- Color coordination. When selecting a bedroom set, think about the color scheme of your room. Coordinating colors can create a harmonious and visually appealing space. You can either choose a bedroom set that matches your existing color palette or use it as an opportunity to refresh your room's look with complementary shades.
To Match or Not to Match?
Bedroom sets come in all types to harmonize with the look and feel of your home and bedroom décor. While a matching bedroom set is a great way to achieve a polished, unified appearance—if that’s what you want—it has become increasingly popular to move away from a strict uniform look, and instead opt to mix and match your own bedroom set. There’s really no strict right or wrong here— it all boils down to your personality and aesthetic preferences.
Let’s consider some pros and cons of matching and non-matching sets.
- A matching bedroom set is a simple, convenient solution. By choosing to purchase the whole set all at once, you know exactly what you’re getting, and you can have it all immediately!
- A matching set provides your bedroom with a unifying theme around which you can base the rest of your décor, and making it easy to achieve a polished and harmonious look.
- On the other hand, a matching set can sometimes convey a more sterile, nondescript “hotel look.”
- Purchasing a whole bedroom set usually requires you to have to invest more money all at once, rather than having the flexibility of being able to “pay as you go.” And if the time should come that you’re ready to choose some new and different bedroom furniture options, it is sometimes more difficult to resell a whole set versus individual pieces.
- Choosing to assemble a non-matching set by buying piece-by-piece can be a fun process in its own right, and it gives you more flexibility with your shopping choices. If you’re someone who likes to play with contrasting ideas and styles, then this approach can be a great way to go.
- Another pro of choosing a non-matching set is that it allows you to add a little more personal flair by expressing your individuality. Mixing different styles, colors, and materials can give your bedroom a unique and eclectic charm, showcasing your individuality.
- Putting together your own non-matching set, often requires more time and effort, and sometimes even a little experimentation before you achieve a result you really like. A resulting downside is that your bedroom could end up being a “work in progress” for months on end.
Before committing to a specific bedroom set, it's essential to reflect on a few key questions to ensure that your choice aligns perfectly with your lifestyle and preferences. It’s important on the front end of the process for you to get as clear as possible about how you want your bedroom to look and feel.
- Most importantly, how do you want to feel in your bedroom? What type of mood and ambiance do you really want to create?
- Do you love a certain material, color, décor theme, or historical time period which could help guide your bedroom set decisions?
- How much storage do you need? Are you a minimalist with a small wardrobe, or do you have an extensive clothing collection that requires ample space?
- What level of maintenance are you willing to undertake? Some materials and finishes may require more care than others, so make sure your selection aligns with your willingness to invest time in maintenance.
Ultimately, your bedroom set (whether perfectly matched or artfully mixed) should support the look and feel that you want your bedroom to embody. Once you’re able to achieve that, then whenever you walk into your bedroom it will bring a smile to your face, and you’ll truly feel right at home!
For other great home décor ideas, please check out the many other helpful articles on our blog. Looking for some new bedding, sheets, throws, or unique home décor items? Then look no further than our signature collections presented by Jennifer Adams! Your dream bedroom awaits!