Weighted blankets are quickly becoming one of the most popular sleep aids on the market. They may seem like a new trend, but did you know that weighted blankets have been used by health professionals as a therapeutic tool for years? Specifically, they have been used as a form for pressure therapy, which induces a feeling of calm and wellbeing. Neuroscientist and bestselling author, Dr. Daniel G. Amen, states in his book, ‘Your Brain Is Always Listening’, that “research suggests that using a weighted blanket, which stimulates being held or hugged safely and firmly, can assist in reducing anxiety and insomnia.”
What Is a Weighted Blanket?
The concept behind weighted blankets is ‘deep-pressure therapy’, which is based on the idea that added pressure from a weighted blanket can increase serotonin levels in the body. Serotonin is a chemical that helps us feel happy and relaxed, and as an added benefit it can also help us fall asleep. Weighted blankets are not intended to cure any medical conditions, but they are a popular option for those dealing with insomnia, anxiety, and self-described ‘bad sleepers’, thanks to these soothing properties.
Weighted blankets are knitted with a dense and heavy yarn or made in a duvet style, and are typically filled with glass beads or polyester pellets. They are heavy, ranging in weight from around 5-30 pounds. The extra weight is evenly distributed across the body, providing a gentle pressure that can help you relax. They can be used anywhere in your home, such as on your bed or couch, whenever you’re in the mood to rest or sleep.
Weighted blankets are designed to be used on top of your bedding. To ensure the best sleep experience, it’s important to choose the right size and weight of blanket for your body. For adults, a weighted blanket should be between around 7-12% of your body weight.
Weighted Blanket Benefits
- Like a cozy snuggle or swaddle, a weighted blanket can give you a sense of security and help you fall asleep faster. They can also help reduce the frequency of night awakenings and the harmful effects of chronic fatigue.
- Weighted blankets relieve anxiety-induced insomnia and stress by promoting your ‘feel-good’ hormones like serotonin and sleep hormones like melatonin.
- Weighted blankets calm an overactive nervous system or rapid heart rate, which can also disrupt sleep. The weighted pressure across your body relaxes your fight-or-flight response.
- Increasingly, research shows that weighted blankets can help children and adults with ADHD concentrate better and feel more at ease. Deep pressure therapy has also been shown to help with insomnia in some autistic people.
- People who live with chronic pain may find relief through the use of weighted blankets, as it reduces perceptions of chronic pain.
Weighted Blanket Pros and Cons
As you can see from the above list of benefits, there are plenty of reasons to use a weighted blanket to help you sleep better. However, there are some important safety considerations:
- While weighted blankets are safe for adults and older children, they are not recommended for young children and infants, unless specifically designed for them. (As a general rule, an adult-size weighted blanket can range from 10-35 lbs.)
- A weighted blanket may not be suitable for people with certain medical conditions, such as chronic respiratory or circulatory issues, asthma, sleep apnea, low blood pressure, type-2 diabetes, and claustrophobia. If you’re unsure if a weighted blanket is right for you, consult your doctor first.
Are Weighted Blankets Hot?
If you tend to sleep hot, an overly heavy weighted blanket might make you feel too warm, so be sure that the weight of the blanket is right for you.
Jennifer Adams Home Premium 15 LBS Weighted Blanket
After many tests and lots of research, we created a weighted blanket that’s just the right weight and design. Our duvet-style weighted blanket is made from individual glass beads in pocketed layers, weighs 15 lbs, and includes a washable graphite cover with ties and loops to secure. It creates a soothing, cozy, cocoon-like sleep experience that will have you waking up rejuvenated and ready for your day ahead.
Made from our signature, ultra-soft Lux fabric, our weighted blanket and cover are wrinkle-resistant, easy to care for, breathable, and made with love and care.
Like all of our products, we promise the highest standards of quality that you can count on. If you’re having trouble sleeping, it may be worth giving a weighted blanket a try. Sleep well!